schezwan sauce is a uniquely flavored, delicious, hot and spicy sauce made with red chilies, garlic, ginger, sichuan peppers and soy sauce. this homemade sauce is an easy way to spice things up! add it to noodles, fried rice, or grilled chicken for a real kick. You can also serve it as a condiment with snacks like pakoras, vadas, and sandwiches or simply spread it on your toast for a spicy treat. you can use it as a marinade for all your grilled dishes like kebabs, tandoori chicken, sizzlers, etc.
Chinese cuisine from India has brought many innovative, unique, tasty and delicious foods which are immensely popular not only in India but also all over the world. foods seasoned with schezwan sauce are one of the most loved.
dishes such as schezwan fried rice, schezwan noodles, schezwan paneer, schezwan chicken & many many are made using this sauce as a base. With unique citrus notes, Schezwan Sauce has a well-balanced flavor of spicy, tangy, sour, and slightly sweet flavors.
so this tasty sauce also goes well as a condiment with many snacks and appetizers.
about the schezwan sauce
Schezwan sauce is a popular Indochinese condiment made from red chillies, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, and sichuan peppers. also known as schezwan chutney, it gets its name from the use of sichuan peppers in the preparation of this sauce.
Sichuan peppers are a common spice used in Sichuan cuisine, which is romanized as Szechwan cuisine. hence the name schezwan sauce. Sichuan pepper is the key ingredient that gives a great citrus flavor to this hot and spicy sauce.
however, if you don’t have it, you can still make this sauce with black pepper, but you will surely miss the sichuan pepper flavors.
Authentic Sichuan cuisine is very hot, spicy and sharp. Since this schezwan sauce is a fusion version created by Chinese immigrants to India, it is toned down to suit the local palate.
this recipe will give you the best of what you can really do! It’s so much better than store bought and it’s pure with no additives or msg. make a large batch of this and refrigerate for several months.
enjoy your tea time snacks like chops, spring rolls, fried chicken, popcorn chicken or even with pakoras.
also making spicy fried rice or noodles is a doddle if you have this sauce in the fridge. you can also use it for shrimp, egg or chicken noodles or rice.
schezwan sauce gets its flavor from ingredients like celery, schezwan pepper, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. so use fresh, good quality ingredients.
how to make schezwan sauce (step by step photos)
1. add red chiles to a bowl. I remove the seeds from the chiles and use them as it reduces the heat. I’ve used 1 cup of red chiles (very tightly packed), about 25 to 28.
2. pour hot water and let them soak for 30 minutes.
3. they soften after soaking.
4. add them to a blender glass. if necessary, add 2 tablespoons of water.
5. make a fine paste.
6. heat oil in a frying pan. I have used 4 tablespoons, that is, 1/4 cup of oil. don’t reduce it, otherwise the sauce doesn’t taste good.
7. add the ginger, garlic, and crushed sichuan peppers. if you don’t have sichuan peppers, you can omit them. but they add a unique citrus aroma to the schezwan sauce. sauté for 2 minutes.
8. if using celery, add it now. add the finely chopped onions as well and then sauté until they turn translucent. do not brown the garlic with ginger.
9. add chili paste.
10. sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
11. pour half a cup of water.
12. add sugar, salt and pepper too.
cook schezwan sauce
13. mix well. Cook covered over medium heat again until sauce thickens.
14. cook further until oil separates. traces of oil can be seen on the sides.
15. then add the soy sauce. I have used organic soy sauce. you may need to adjust the amount if you use any other type.
16. add vinegar i used apple cider vinegar. you can also use rice vinegar.
17. finally mix well and cook for only 2 minutes.
chill the sauce completely. store it in a glass jar. keep refrigerated for best shelf life. it keeps well for about 2 months.
frequently asked questions
for more indochinese recipes, you can refer to schezwan paneermushroom manchurianveg manchurianchicken noodles
recipe files. first published January 2018. updated and republished June 2021.