lillet blanc is a worthwhile French aperitif wine! its crisp, clean flavor makes it perfect for drinking in cocktails.
what is lillet blanc and why is everyone obsessed with it? This French aperitif wine has become all the rage in recent years here in the United States. take a sip and you’ll understand why it’s worth it. the flavor is crisp, floral and slightly sweet – incredibly refreshing with an intriguing botanical finish. pairs well with club soda for the best bubbly and hydrating drinks – and it also features in some classic cocktails. we always store a bottle of lillet in our fridge – here’s why!
what is lille blanc?
lillet blanc is a French aromatized wine: a white wine infused with fruits, herbs, and other botanicals. it was originally known as kina lillet, invented in 1887 and flavored with quinine. lillet blanc replaced kina in 1986 and has a lower quinine content. it has become popular in bars and restaurants for its fresh, floral flavor.
lille is actually a family of French aromatised wines. there are several types of lillet made with different wines: lillet blanc, lillet rosé and lillet rouge. what is an aromatized wine? it is a wine fortified with brandy and then infused with herbs, spices, fruits, or other botanicals. it is a type of fortified wine like vermouth, but fortified wines do not have additional flavors added.
how do you pronounce lillet blanc? is French, so say “li-lay blahn“.
what does lillet blanc taste like?
lillet blanc is fresh and light, with subtle floral, herbal and citrus notes. It tastes like a semi-sweet white vermouth with intriguing herbal notes on the finish. it’s light, refreshing and incredibly versatile for mixing in cocktails.
how much alcohol does lillet blanc have? has 17% vol. (alcohol by volume), so it has a mid-range alcohol content similar to that of wine.
Are there any substitutes for lillet blanc? You can substitute cocchi Americano, but it’s much sweeter (it’s made with Moscato wine). As a DIY substitute, use white vermouth with a dash of cocktail bitters to add the herbal finish.
why we like it
bartenders are obsessed with lillet blanc, and so are we! The fresh, floral flavor is very refreshing and perfect for mixing with spritzes, spritzers, or g&t. in the summer, we grab a bottle and pour it into herb-filled wine glasses with carbonated water – no need to measure! It’s one of our favorite types of alcohol because it’s so easy to drink – a simple drinking solution.
how much does it cost?
compared to other liqueurs, lillet blanc is cheap. a 750 ml bottle costs around $20.
most popular lillet blanc cocktails
there are so many great cocktails to make with this appetizer! we love it in a spritzer, but there are also some classic cocktails that use it. here are some drinks to try:
more cocktail guides
need more liquor guides? we’ve got them! This is all you need to know about cocktail making at home:
- aperol guide and campari guide everything you need to know about these Italian liqueurs.
- baileys guides all the ins and outs of Irish cream.
- cappelletti’s guide to why this red italian bitter is better than campari.
- gallian guide, is this bright yellow liquor worth buying?
- Grenadine guide gets confused with cherry, but this sparkling syrup has a secret.
- fernet branca guide here’s why people love this Italian bitter
- irish whiskey guide, all about this easy-drinking style of whiskey
- kahlua guide learns about this popular Mexican coffee liqueur
- limncello guide why this wrinkle-inducing liqueur should be part of your collection
- peanut butter whiskey guide to the unique nutty-flavored skrewball
- learn more about this anise flavored liqueur