Switching to a ketogenic diet can seem overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be difficult. your focus should be on reducing carbohydrates while increasing the fat and protein content of meals and snacks.
To reach and stay in a state of ketosis, carbohydrates must be restricted. while certain people can only achieve ketosis by eating 20 grams of carbohydrates per day, others may be successful with higher carbohydrate intake.
In general, the lower your carb intake, the easier it is to get into and stay in ketosis.
This is why sticking to ketogenic foods and avoiding high-carb items is the best way to successfully lose weight on a ketogenic diet.
When following a ketogenic diet, meals and snacks should focus on the following foods:
- eggs: grass-fed, organic, or conventional all work well
- poultry: chicken and turkey
- oily fish: salmon, herring and mackerel
- meat: beef, venison, pork, organ meats, and bison
- full dairy: yoghurt, butter and cream without sugar
- whole cheese: cheddar, mozzarella, brie, goat cheese, and cream cheese
- nuts and seeds: macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, and flaxseeds
- nut butter: peanut, almond, and cashew butters with no added sugar
- oils rich in healthy fats: olive oil, avocado oil and sesame oil
- Avocados: Whole avocados can be added to almost any meal or snack
- non-starchy vegetables: greens, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, and bell peppers
- seasoning: salt, pepper, vinegar, lemon juice, fresh herbs and spices
- bread and baked goods: white bread, whole grain bread, crackers, cookies, donuts, and rolls
- sweets and sugary foods: sugar, ice cream, candies, maple syrup, honey, agave syrup, and coconut sugar
- sweetened beverages: soft drinks, juices, sweetened teas and sports drinks
- pasta: spaghetti and other noodles
- grains and grain products: wheat, rice, oatmeal, breakfast cereals, and tortillas
- starchy vegetables: potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, corn, peas, and squash
- beans and legumes: black beans, chickpeas, lentils and kidney beans
- fruit: citrus, grapes, bananas and pineapple
- Carbohydrate-rich sauces: barbecue sauce, ketchup, honey mustard, sugary salad dressings, and dipping sauces
- certain alcoholic beverages: beer and sugary mixed drinks
- water. water is the best option for hydration and should be consumed throughout the day.
- sparkling water. sparkling water can be an excellent substitute for soda.
- coffee without sugar. try using heavy cream to add flavor to your cup of coffee.
- unsweetened green tea. Green tea is delicious and can provide many health benefits.
foods to limit
When possible, it’s best to avoid or limit carbohydrate-rich foods while following a ketogenic diet.
The following foods should be limited:
Although carbohydrates should be restricted, you can enjoy low-glycemic fruits, such as berries, in limited amounts, as long as you maintain a range of macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, fats) compatible with the ketogenic diet.
Be sure to choose plenty of whole foods and avoid processed foods and trans fats when possible.
Sugar can be found in a wide variety of beverages, including juices, sodas, iced tea, and coffee drinks. while following a ketogenic diet, you should limit or avoid high-carbohydrate beverages as well as high-carbohydrate foods.
Not insignificantly, sugar-sweetened beverages have also been linked to various health problems, from obesity to an increased risk of type 2 diabetes (10, 11).
There are plenty of tasty, sugar-free options for those following the ketogenic diet. Ketogenic drink options include:
If you want to add some extra flavor to your water, try experimenting with different keto flavor combinations. for example, tossing some fresh mint and a lemon peel into your water bottle can make hydration a breeze.
Although alcohol consumption should be restricted, on the ketogenic diet it is acceptable to occasionally enjoy a low-carb beverage such as vodka or tequila mixed with sparkling water.
The ketogenic diet revolves around high-fat, low-carb food choices and limits highly processed foods and trans fats. keto drink options should be sugar-free when possible. consider water, sparkling water, or unsweetened green tea and coffee.